Ahli United Bank B.S.C. ("AUB" or the "Bank") was established as a bank in Bahrain on 31 May 2000 following a merger between The United Bank of Kuwait PLC ("UBK") and Al-Ahli Commercial Bank B.S.C. ("ACB") pursuant to which UBK and ACB each became wholly owned subsidiaries of AUB. The Bank operates under a retail banking license issued by the Central Bank of Bahrain ("CBB").
In addition to wholly owned operations of AUB (Bahrain), AUB (United Kingdom) and AUB (DIFC, UAE), AUB has an 85.5% stake in AUB (Egypt), a 74.9% stake in AUB (Kuwait), a 75.0% stake in Commercial Bank of Iraq, a 40% stake in United Bank of Commerce & Investment (Libya) and a 35% stake in Ahli Bank (Oman). AUB also has a 100% stake in Al Hilal Life which provides life and health insurance products.
AUB and its network of subsidiaries and associated companies form a banking group ("AUB Group") providing (i) retail banking; (ii) corporate banking, (iii) treasury and investment services; (iv) private banking and wealth management services; and (v) Islamic banking products & services besides offering conventional and Takaful life insurance products.
The Bank is continuously assessing and seeking to expand in the GCC and to acquire complementary banking platforms in identified secondary markets in the Middle East and North Africa ("MENA") region in order to act as a preferred regional and international intermediary for its clients. AUB Group's diverse geographical footprint provides a conduit to tapping cross border business and investment flows within the MENA region. The AUB Group's presence in the United Kingdom services the need of its Gulf clients in UK.
AUB's strong performance over the years has earned it a string of prestigious awards, including:
• "Bank of the Year Middle East (2016)" from The Banker
• "Best Bank in the Middle East (2012)" from Euromoney
• "Best Bank in the Middle East (2006 to 2009)" from Global Finance
• "Best Bank in the Middle East (2007)" from Euromoney
• "Bank of the Year Middle East (2006)" from The Banker
• "Best Bank in Bahrain (2018)" from Global Finance for the thirteenth consecutive year
• "Best Bank in Bahrain (2017)", for the twelfth consecutive year from Euromoney
• "Bank of the Year Bahrain (2016)" for the eleventh consecutive year from The Banker
In additional to above regional and country awards, AUB has won many product and process specific awards including:
• "Best Private Bank in Bahrain 2017 and 2018" from Global Finance
• "Best Private Bank in Bahrain 2014 to 2017" from PWM/The Banker
• "Best Private Bank in Bahrain 2012 and 2014" from Euromoney
• "Best Foreign Exchange Provider in Bahrain for 2017 and 2018" by Global Finance
• "Best Foreign Exchange Provider in Bahrain (2015)" for the ninth consecutive year by Global Finance
• "Best Trade Finance Provider in Bahrain for 2016 to 2018" by Global Finance
• "Best Trade Finance Provider in Bahrain for 2011 to 2012" by Global Finance
• "Elite Quality Recognition Award" from JP Morgan Chase, the leading global financial services firm, for the thirteenth consecutive year
• "STP Award" from Commerzbank AG, for operational efficiency in processing funds transfers and international transactions in Euro, for the seventh consecutive year