This notice sets out how we handle personal data as part of our business as Ahli United Bank B.S.C, and how we protect the privacy of the individuals whose data we process.
Ahli United Bank B.S.C. (AUB Bank) is part of the Ahli United Bank Group (Ahli United Bank Group) with its head office in the Kingdom of Bahrain operates in Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, the United Arab Emirates, the Sultanate of Oman, and the United Kingdom. This privacy notice shall explain how shall Ahli United Bank, an entity operating in the Kingdom of Bahrain use the personal data collected from you when you use our services through any of our bank branches, offices, ATMs; our website, mobile applications, social media channels, or when you connect with us through other channels to start or manage your relationship with Ahli United Bank.
Ahli United Bank recognizes its privileged position in receiving your information for purpose of offering financial products, banking services, promoting offerings, and serving you as a customer or any other individual associated with Ahli United Bank. Ahli United Bank is committed to protecting the individual privacy of whose data we process in a way that shall consistent with the principles set out in the applicable data protection laws.
Ahli United Bank is the data controller of the personal information you have submitted to us. Which means we are responsible for deciding how we shall hold and use your personal data. For business efficiency and the provision of seamless services across geographies, we may authorize one of our entities or third- parties to processing the data on our behalf.
- Ahli United Bank B.S.C. or the Ahli United Bank Group shall herein refer to as "Ahli United Bank", "Ahli United Bank Bahrain", "us", "Bank", "Company" or "Organization".
- Banking Services: shall mean the banking services offered by the Bank to the Customer(s), including bank account, all banking products, and/or ancillary services the Bank shall provide, procure or make available for the Customer(s).
- Customer: shall refer to Bank customer(s) opts-in to use the Banking Services in accepting the terms and conditions of the Bank, and duly completed and executed the Account Opening Application Forms and/or agreement with the Bank in order to avail Banking Services. A Customer(s) may be a body corporate, a partnership, a sole proprietorship, or any other form of incorporated or unincorporated organization(s) or an individual(s) authorized to manage an account or enter into any form of business with the Bank.
- Entities: shall refer to individual business units, branches, partners, subsidiaries, and affiliates of Ahli United Bank Group operate in the Kingdom of Bahrain with cross-border operations in Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, the United Arab Emirates, Oman and the United Kingdom and any other country where Ahli United Bank’s banking service shall be provided to customers, including insurance services provided through Al Hilal Life, Bahrain.
- Personal Data: shall comprise all data that can be used to personally identify you or any information which can be, directly or indirectly, used to identify an individual, including but not limited to, name, email address, phone number, national ID/CPR, etc. in accordance with the applicable data protection laws.
- Sensitive Personal Data: shall refer to any information concerning the racial and ethnic origin, political or philosophical opinions, membership of a trade union, health or sexual orientation, criminal record, religious belief, etc.
- Data Processing: shall refer to any operation or activity performed on personal data electronically or non-electronically, whether or not by automated means, including but not limited to, collecting, recording, organizing, structuring, storing, sharing, reviewing, adapting, altering, modifying, transferring, archiving, destroying data. For example, submitting personal details using an account opening application form, a credit score inquiry authorization, job application process, etc.
- Third-Party: shall refer to an external party/ parties authorized by the Bank to provide Banking Services to the Customer to process the Customer’s Personal Data on the bank's behalf.
What data to be collected?
In order to serve you better, we shall collect relevant information in different intervals depending on the nature of the business, context, and purpose:
- Personal Details, such as name, gender, date of birth, photograph, social status, etc.
- Contact Details, such as an address, email address, phone number, social media handles,
- Proof of Identity, such as a Smart ID/CPR ID, passport, driving license, etc.
- Financial details, such as, bank account, beneficiary account , credit score, etc.
- Collateral details, such as asset details, bank statements, proof of income, previous employment records, etc.
- Sensitive details, such as religious belief, health information, medical history, insurance details, criminal records, fraud prevention verifications, etc.
- Market research, promotions and campaign details, such as information and opinions expressed as part of market research, social media handle names, etc.
- Device generated details, such as internet protocol address (IP) addresses, device identifiers, other unique identifiers collected using cookies and other technologies from the computers, mobile devices.
The information listed above that you have made available to us when you express your interest in avail services provided by us or when you intend to provide us with services. These details are collected and processed throughout your legal association with us. The details are protected in an appropriate manner beyond your association with us. These details shall be collected when you open an account g, inquire about a loan make financial transactions using our services, during employment interviews, employee onboarding, employment, vendor onboarding visit our website, internet portals, mobile applications or social media channels, etc.
Similar or select few details from the list above that you, your nominees, family members, or emergency contacts have made available to carry out regulatory requirements, to fulfil business interests, or to protect your interests. For example, naming a nominee or co-applicant for your bank account, credit services, emergency contacts, or family members information, etc.
How is your data collected?
Data is primarily collected in three ways: directly from you, from the devices you use to access the services, interact with us, and avail services, and data generated and enriched by third-parties. Representative scenarios are outlined below:
Data collected directly from you
- Data collection from paper forms when you open an account, deposit /withdraw money, inquire and apply for financial services, etc.
- Internet portals – When you make financial transactions, fill out job application forms, etc.
- Online application forms – When you register online or place an order for any of our products or services.
- Social Media Channels – When you engage with us as part of our campaigns, promotions, etc.
- Branch visits and inquiries, emails, contact centre, and message boards on social media - When you face-to-face communicate with us \ or via any of our electronic channels to manage your banking relationship with Ahli United Bank.
- When you complete voluntarily a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our internet forms, message boards, or email.
Data collected from the devices
- Computers and Mobile Devices, such as IP addresses, device and session identifiers in cookies and other technologies, etc.
- Use of ATMs and cash deposit machines, such as location, time of the transactions, CCTV footage, etc.
Data generated or enriched by third- parties
- CPR/National ID Reader Information, such as name, address, nationality, gender, photograph - using the government- provided services for identification and authentication purposes.
- Credit score and credit report to provide credit facilities using the services of credit bureaus.
- IP Address and device information, such as collecting and monitoring aggregated data to protect our assets and monitor the performance of our services.
How will your data be used?
Personal data collected from you will be used to carry out several activities that shall support our mission to delivering banking and financial related services. Collected data will be used and processed:
- To enter into or carry out an agreement we have with you. For example, customers/vendors service contract and employment contract, etc.
- To meet regulatory/ legal requirements. For example, Know Your Customer (KYC) processes, anti-money laundering checks, mandated credit reference bureau , etc.
- To carry out a specific task in the public interest. For example, detecting or preventing a crime.
- To pursue our legitimate interests. For example, upselling, cross-selling of our products and services, new product launches, overdue money reminder, and recovery, etc.
- To communicate with you about our products and services. Marketing services shall be based on your consent with provisions of communications, and promotions you shall opt-in to participate therein.
We shall use your information for other reasons listed below:
- To deliver our products and services;
- To carry out your instructions. For example, fulfilling a payment request, make changes in your profile;
- To carry out checks in relation to your creditworthiness;
- To manage our relationship with you, including (unless you inform us otherwise) displaying products and services tailored to your interests;
- To understand how you use your accounts and services;
- To support our banking operations;
- To ensure security and business continuity;
- To manage risks;
- To provide Online Banking, mobile apps, and other online platforms;
- To market our products and services using traditional and online advertising;
- To improve our products and services, by analysing how you use them;
- To analyse data for a better understanding of your choices and preferences, and to tailor our best advice and services to you;
- To protect our legal rights and comply with our legal obligations;
- To undertake system or product development and planning;
- For audit and administrative purposes;
- For availing or providing insurance services.
How will your data be stored?
Your data is securely and safely stored in storage facilities identified and managed either by us or by authorized third- parties operate within the countries we operate in, or third countries. When we authorize a third-party to store your data, we conduct due diligence, make a risk assessment, and ensure that such third-parties and overseas (cross-borders) storage facilities comply with our internal policies and applicable data protection laws.
We will hold and retain your data as long as the term of your contract with us is valid and as the same is required by the applicable laws and regulations. If this term ends, we shall retain the data to meet our legitimate interests.
How will your data be shared and transferred?
We may share your data with other entities of Ahli United Bank Group and concerned third- parties that operate within the country we operate in or to third countries. In all these cases, appropriate contractual measures shall be carried out before sharing or transferring the data in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations.
The purpose of sharing your data is to deliver a seamless banking experience across geographies, ensure business and operational efficiency, and ensure data availability as part of our business continuity strategies.
When your data is transferred to third countries, international organizations, we shall implement strict measures to protect your data. In some countries, where the laws mandate us or our third- parties to share the data with regulators or to apply different levels of security, we ensure that the data is shared on a need basis with an appropriate level of security. Your data is required to be shared overseas to fulfil the contractual obligations, legal obligations, and for our legitimate business interests.
How do we secure and maintain the confidentiality of your data?
We implement various measures to keep your information safeguarded and secured including encryption and other forms of security. We shall bind our staff and third- parties who carry out any work on our behalf to comply with appropriate compliance standards, including obligations to protect any information and to apply appropriate data protection measures for the use and transfer of information.
How will your data going to be used for marketing?
We shall send you information about our products and services that we think you may benefit from or may be of interest to you. . You may opt-in to receive marketing communications at this stage. You can exercise your right to discontinue marketing communications to you at any of time.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, you may unsubscribe or opt-out from such campaigns by navigating to our email communications preferences centre or by writing to us at AUBBH.DataProtection@Ahliunited.com.
What are your data protection rights?
We would like to ensure you are fully aware of the rights over your personal data. Every individual whose personal data we process is entitled to the following rights. In addition, the right to be informed as aimed by this notice:
- The right to access - You have the right to request us for copies of your personal data which is in our records.
- The right to rectification - You have the right to request for correct any personal data or information that appears inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information that appears incomplete.
- The right to erasure — You have the right to request for the erasure of your personal data in our records, subject to certain conditions, to continue providing you with services considering legal, commercial, and regulatory requirements of undertaking such services.
- The right to restrict processing - You have the right to request for restrict processing of your personal data - subject to certain conditions of providing uninterrupted banking services, legal, commercial and regulatory requirements.
- The right to object to processing - You have the right to object to processing your personal data, specifically if it is based on automated processing or to opt-out of processing for direct marketing purposes - subject to certain conditions pertaining to our ability to continue providing you with services in the light of legal, commercial, and regulatory requirements.
- The right to data portability - You have the right to request for transfer of your data to another organization, or directly to you - subject to certain conditions and feasibility of data portability.
- Right to opt-out or withdraw consent- In the circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collecting, processing and transferring of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact us at the email address provided below, or visit any of our bank branches. Once we have received your withdrawal of consent request, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
- You have the option to subscribe or opt-in to receive newsletters, and marketing content. If you have subscribed to any of these services, you can opt-out or unsubscribe to such communications by navigating to our email communications preferences centre or by writing to us at AUBBH.DataProtection@Ahliunited.com or by submitting your request at any of our branch offices.
Data accuracy and authenticity – Your responsibility
As the owner of your data, it’s your duty to ensure that the personal data and information you provide to us is accurate, up-to-date, and authentic.
You may exercise this duty and communicate your requirements with us directly at our email AUBBH.DataProtection@AhliUnited.com
Other Website Privacy notices
The website of Ahli United Bank contains links to portals of other entities and other third-party websites. This privacy notice applies only to the website, applications, portals, and channels of Ahli United Bank B.S.C. So, if you click on a link to another portal or website, you shall assume doing so at your own responsibility and you shall read other portal or website privacy notice.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log-in information, visitor behaviour, and website traffic information. When you visit our website(s), we shall collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
What types of cookies do we use?
On our website we shall use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies - These cookies are essential to browse the site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. Without these cookies, the services you have asked for cannot be provided.
- Functionality Cookies - These cookies allow a site to remember choices you make (such as your user's name, language, or the region you are in) and provide more enhanced personal features. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. They don’t gather any information about you that could be used for advertising or remembering where you have been on the internet outside our site.
- Performance Cookies - These cookies collect information about your visit and use of this website, for instance, which pages you visit the most often, and error messages you notice on our web pages. All information these cookies collect shall be processed anonymously by us and is only used to improve website performance.
- Google Analytics Cookies are used to tracking website traffic and performance. These cookies are used to distinguish unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as a client identifier. It is included in each page request in a site and used to calculate visitor, session, and campaign data for the site's analytics reports. By default, Google Analytics cookies are set to expire after 2 years notwithstanding it is customizable by website owners.
- Google ReCAPTCHA Cookies are used to protect websites from spam and abuse.
How to manage cookies?
You can set your browser to reject cookies, and the website www.allaboutcookies.org shall tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Changes to our privacy and cookies notice
Ahli United Bank shall review this notice on a periodical basis and updates shall be published herein accordingly. You shall be notified of the latest updated version when they are available here.
How to contact us?
Should you have any questions about this privacy notice, the data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, you please contact us at: AUBBH.DataProtection@Ahliunited.com
Ahli United Bank B.S.C,
Building 2495, Road 2832,
Al Seef District 428,
P.O. Box 2424,
Kingdom of Bahrain
Last Updated Date: 26th Apr 2021